X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

July 8, 2007

Going For The 4•5•6 - Rear Axle Found

Well, its bad news for my 8.6 gears in an 8" rear axle set up. Had a long conversation with a knowledgeable parts guy last night with some help from his parts computer. Here's the scoop:

The axle housings are different between the 8" and 8.6" gears.

The I6 with any gear ratio and locker is 19133411
The V8 with any gear ratio and locker is 19133414

So I guess if I want to pursue my goal of 4.56 gears I will have to find an axle out there as the 8.6" housing may be deeper, not only on the cover side but also on the driveshaft side.

I embarked on finding an 8.6" rear axle housing locally. At first I was looking at $1100 - $1400 Canadian. Not the price I really wanted to get into. Then I found a place that had them for $850 and I actually went out to take a look at it. Great condition with under 20,000 kms on it. I was on the fence ...

And finally today ...

I found a 2005 8.6" with 20,000 km for ...

$162

It looks in good shape overall. The brakes and hubs are probably not usable but who cares, I will use mine anyways. For that price, its worth getting just to experiment!!!

Well I put a deposit down and as soon as I can borrow a pickup or van from a friend, I will be going over to Standard Auto Wreckers with my mechanic (as a final check) and picking it up.

Let the gearing insanity begin !

No comments: