X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

May 15, 2007

Goodbye Ol’ Blue - The Aftermath

Well the call came yesterday from the insurance company and its not being repaired.

Their justification was that the cost of the repair (over CAN$ 12K) + a "buffer" they calculate for "unforseen" items during the repair, was too close to the appraised value of CAN$ 14K.

This appraised value included a (low) book value for a 2002 TB with 225,000+ kms plus their valuation for ALL my add-on receipts (depreciated of course) over the past 5+ years.

It did not include the items I said I would be taking off:

  • wheels and tires
  • MileMarker extreme winch mount
  • T-Maxx winch
  • KC lights
  • PIAA lights
  • custom rock sliders
  • hitch step
  • aftermarket stereo equipment

Everything else stays on because its too expensive to remove or I don't have the original parts.

Their amount (minus my $500 deductable) goes to the leasing company to settle what I still am obligated to pay.

Which leaves me with a grand total of just under CAN$ 6K, and no vehicle.

In my opinion, not the best solution for me, but not an absolute tragedy either. I now must admit that all-in-all, I was treated very well by Dominion of Canada and particularly by the adjuster who handled my case. He is the one who suggested to put together all my modification receipts (lucky I kept them) and he is the one who significantly increased the book value of the Trailblazer. Without him I would be in dire straits.

The big decision will have to be made in the next few weeks as to what direction I want to go, in terms of my next vehicle.

What this does is throw a major wrench into my plans for the summer. I not only had some more interesting mods planned, but a couple of 4-wheelin trips in there. One to northern Ontario mining country. And the other to the 4WD paradise of Colorado.

Right now I'm kinda feelin I have left a job unfinished ... but that may change ...

No comments: