X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

May 31, 2008

Going For The 4•5•6 - Fabrication Begins!

All right !!! Things are finally moving on the drivetrain. Stopped by National 4WD one morning and put down a deposit for work to be done. First step is they are going to take apart the rear 8.6 to make sure the axles are in good condition (no stripped threads, bent shafts, etc.). Then they are going to give it a quick spray with some anti-rust black paint, decided to skip the POR15 - kind of overkill for a stock axle, plus pretty expensive !!! Lastly, their sales guy is doing some research on gears.

However, never to stand still, I have done some research on my own through Randy's Ring & Pinion. Their web site is not 100% accurate, but their phone guys seem very knowledgeable. Here is the parts list I am looking at right now - 4.56 gear ratio:

Front
Yukon Gear 7.2 R&P (reverse) - YG GM7.2-456R
Yukon Gear Master Overhaul Kit - YK GM7.2IFS-L
note: current kit lacks side seals - needed from dealer)

Rear
Yukon Gear 8.5 R&P - YG GM8.5-456
Yukon Gear Master Overhaul Kit - YK GM8.6
Auburn Ected electronic locker (full kit) 30 spline - 545004

I am also waiting on pricing from my contact at North Shore Off-Road, but I think they will come in higher as Auburn is not a big seller for them. And since the dollar is about even, I will probably end up with Randy's.

And for some brand new news. Tomorrow I drive HERE to check out a front 2003 axle that is priced at $400. This is the cheapest I have seen them, so if its in good condition I will pick it up so that my fabricator can get EVERYTHING ready off the vehicle, and I can keep driving the Trailblazer.

-- SATURDAY --

Well, came back from the yard but no axle. Why? Because I forgot that it was probably still on the vehicle, DOH!

So they have a completely BURNT 2003 Envoy XL there. I crawled underneath and took a look at the front axle housing. Looks in great condition, the fire didn't reach it at all. I turned the front driveshaft with no problems so the insides feel good too (not like I am going to use them).I put down the deposit and will be picking it up this week sometime, after they remove it from the vehicle.

No comments: