X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

June 20, 2008

Western Trent-Severn - Big Chute 2

I took the opportunity of cooler and much less humid weather last weekend to re-visit the Big Chute area with a goal in mind to tackle the trail I abandoned the week before but from the north instead.

I made it up there much earlier in the day so I had the opportunity of getting some visuals of the marine railway with some boats on it. These are stills from some video I shot (testing out my brand new HDV Sony camcorder). I will try to edit something together in the near future.

The weather was excellent, but unfortunately for the 2 or 3 days prior, there was heavy rainfall. So again, when I started on the trail, I quickly got into some heavy-duty mud and decided to turn back.

I had plenty of daylight left so I decided to at least go check out the potential trail north of Big Chute. When I saw this, I was thinking: "great! something more than just gravel roads"

But when I walked up there to survey the situation (something you should always do on unknown trails), the whole outing went kaput.

The rock climb seemed very doable but just after it, some huge mud holes. I actually sank almost up to my knee in one by accident. And then the mosquitoes hit, I was SWARMED.

Images from Wikipedia - authors: Alvesgaspar and the Agricultural Research Service

They even stung me on the Black Fly welts I had from the weekend before. I haven't been to that part of Ontario at this time of year for quite a while and I forgot how bad it gets.

So thats it for Trent-Severn West End for the time being. I will be back though in late summer or early fall when its drier and the nasties are gone.

No comments: