X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

June 9, 2008

Western Trent-Severn - Intro

Having been inspired in 2007 by the concept and attitude of what is referred to as Expedition Travel, I set out on my Toronto - Colorado - Toronto expedition last September.

With great references such as The Expedition Portal and The Overland Journal I have evaluated my expedition as a personal success, one that I wish to experience again this September.

But in the mean time, I have started a project to build a database of local (i.e. Ontario, Canada) trails with not just "wheeling" in mind, but trails that provide the traveler with historical, architectural, or natural significance. If you have ever read any trail write ups in the Peter Massey books, then you know what I am talking about.

My first sojourn of the season was to a couple of specific points on the Trent-Severn waterway. If I can quote the Parks Canada web site:

"Year after year, the Trent-Severn Waterway, meandering 386 km along central Ontario, continues to create unique experiences. After each spring thaw, the Waterway's historic locks and canals open, linking a passageway so magnificent it has been named "one of the finest interconnected systems of navigation in the world". Those who visit, reminisce long after leaving. They can't help but remember the impressive locks and lofty legends that make up one of Canada's most spectacular waterways."

The waterway connects the eastern shore of Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) with the north-eastern shore of Lake Ontario, and consists of lakes, rivers, canals, and locks (45 in all) with some being over 160 years old and still in regular operation. Here is an overview map:

Click on the map for a closer view.

The two locks I was interested in due to the proximity of some potential 4x4 trails are in the western portion of the waterway - Swift Rapids (#43) and Big Chute (#44).

No comments: