X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

February 28, 2009

Going For The 4•5•6 - Update

As some of you may have read earlier in this thread, I goofed on some research for the rear axle housing and even though I got the 2002 8.6 inch from an EXT for a steal, I have been driving around since August with no anti-lock breaks and no Stabillitrak.

Luckily, even though snow around here has been quite heavy, I have not really had any dire need for the ABS (I have been extra cautious when driving in bad weather).

Well that is being rectified in a month or so. I have been on a constant lookout for a 2006+ 8.6 housing and finally got one. My original plan was to get one from Michigan and have them ship it to National 4WD's warehouse just outside of Buffalo, and let them bring it across the border.

But luckily 2 weeks ago one became available about half an hour north of Toronto in Aurora at Carcone's Auto Recycling. Again, another ringing endorsement for car-part.com, that system is outstanding!

The housing is in good shape, the ABS leads are still in tact, and they even left all 4 bars attached from the 4-link. Ryan at National4WD will give me a report on the axles but I expect them to be in good shape as well.

This will be done in the off-season so it is ready for this year and some BIG travel plans I have ...

No comments: