X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

February 28, 2009

Surco Safari Roof Rack - Update

Winter (read: off-season) update.

I have been thinking about 2 items related to the Surco Safari rack:

  1. Changing how it fastens to the roof rails.

    After taking the rack down last year, I noticed that the aluminum plates with the threads in the center were actually slightly bent! I must have over-tightened them by hand. The year before I only used a drill set to it's highest torque, which didn't bend them.

    For piece-of-mind, I can definitely see the benefits of the idea where the plates are at least twice as thick and have a design that "lock" them in - as suggested by James Downing, another Trailvoy enthusiast. However, being a custom job this would be the more difficult route.

  2. Adding an awning to the Safari rack

    I had seen awnings in use in Overland Journal and thought this was a great and useful addition. After some research I chose the awning that Camping Lab sells. I ordered the 70" version and it was delivered promptly to my US mailbox.

    I am currently working on how to mount it to the side of the Surco. One thing that will change is that the Hi-Lift jack will no longer be mounted there. I am going to slightly modify my rear spare tire carrier in order to mount the jack there.

    More pictures in the spring when it gets warmer, however, here is a picture from Camping Lab for you to get the idea:

No comments: