X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

August 27, 2008

Going For The 4•5•6 - Driving Impressions

So was all this worth it?

I would have to say a definite YES!

The power is definitely back and obviously head and shoulders above what 3.42 gives you with 33" tires.

The Auburn locker is excellent as well. When not locked via the switch, it works like a limited slip and engages the other axle under the right conditions. Here's a diagram and write up:

With the gears, locker, and low range transfer case working in conjunction, I had absolutely no problem at the offroad weekend I participated in. There was no obstacle I could not power over including steep rock climbs, deep water, mud, descents, etc. etc. The only thing that takes getting used it is the fairly strong and loud "smacking" (for lack of a better word) when the locker temporarily unlocks the axles when turning.

As for road impressions. I do think I will be using more gas but I don't have actual numbers yet. I did test out what the RPMs are though:

  • 60 km/hr just under 2000 rpm
  • 100 km/hr just over 2000 rpm

Also don't forget that the PCM has to be reprogrammed just like when the tire size is significantly changed.

No comments: