X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

August 30, 2008

Penn’s View

The trail continues until it joins back up with the maintained Poe Paddy Dr which takes visitors up to Penn's View, the nicest overlook in the area.

I stopped at Penn's View for a nice lunch. No one else was around and the site was very relaxing. Its very quiet up there so I was surprised to hear some distant voices. I thought maybe that some hikers were coming up the trail but nobody showed up. I kept hearing those voices in the distance and started to think that maybe there was some old Native legend for the area (did anyone see Last of the Mohicans?)

As I took my camera out and started to take some pictures I realized what I was hearing, it was a couple of swimmers in Penn's Creek over 1000 feet down and across!

The maintained gravel road turns back into pavement at around the Greenbriar Gap. I headed north back to Penn's Valley Road and then back onto my route for home.

Overall a very nice diversion in the PA mountains with more available to explore.

Here are some pictures from the original Hummer article. I recognise the 1st two as Penn's View, but I didn't even come close to any water crossings. I wonder where they took that one?

No comments: