X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

August 24, 2008

Lighting - All Lamps Mounted!

Well after a very busy month I am back at posting news and builds. During this time I attended the All Truck Nationals at Carlisle, PA and had a great time, had the Trailblazer in for the BIG mod for this year, and attended the annual CampNL off-road weekend in Ontario.

The lights were mounted before all this activity but I did not get a chance to wire them up. In fact, I still don't have them wired up so I will be working on this over the next few weeks.

So for now, here are some pictures from both of the events mentioned above with the light covers off and on.

Carlisle pics thanks to Fishhunter911, Annydude41, and ssmedt. CampNL pics thanks to Mike Lascut - mikephoto.com

Mounting the 4-light bar in front of the grille ended up OK but not perfect. I used aluminum square tubes, L bars, and flat bars in combination to achieve a surface just in front of the grille to mount the bar to. Behind the grille its mounted to the large plastic piece that extends all the way across the front of the vehicle. This is the piece that the headlights attach to using the "slide" mounts. Even though I reinforced it as much as I could, the weight of the bar plus lights does cause it to "bounce" on rough surfaces and with heavy wind or highway driving. I am working on a fix to that. When all done I will get some more detailed pictures as well as a wiring write up.

No comments: