X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

November 12, 2007

Going For The 4•5•6 - Rock Guard Spider

Long time since my last post on this topic. Unfortunately the rear axle is still where I left it, sitting in my friend's backyard, with no work done on it. Well its getting colder up here and we had our first snowstorm about 100 km north of Toronto a few days ago. It didn't stick around, but I know its going to come sooner or later. So I am going to talk to my fabrication guy at National4WD and see if they will keep it in their shop till spring. I hope to put some new gears (4.56) and a locker (Auburn Ected) in there for the new year, maybe in February.

I also have decided to see if I can find a similar deal on a front axle housing locally. It would be easier to get the front and rear axles all done up with new gears and oil before leaving the Trailblazer in the shop.

But on to the new great news.

Purple Cranium have started production on a half spider for our rear ends, both the 8 inch and 8.6 inch. I sent them the covers for both and they went to work. Here's my brand new, orange powder coated, rock guard:

As you can see, they built it so that it clears the deeper 8.6 cover. I was going to wait and put it on only after I swapped rear axles, however, as I am going in for a fluid check and service on the axles and transfer case before winter, I will get them to put it on. Pictures of that later.

No comments: