X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

November 4, 2007

Rear Spare Tire Carrier - Background

During the planning of my expedition to Colorado, I realized it would be a very smart idea to have 2 spare tires. This was also prompted by the fact that I already had one full size Mickey Thompson sitting around since I bought the set, never had a need to use it. So I decided to buy another brand new tire, put the 2 new ones on the rear, and use the 2 used ones as spares. One was going on the Surco Safari roof rack, and the other one was supposed to be fitted at the rear bumper somehow. Right about that time, this product started selling:
The HitchGate from TireGate. However, as is usually the case, there was nowhere locally I could get this product, and getting it from the US would cost way too much in terms of shipping. So I came up with an alternative solution (almost as good) that uses three independent products, cobbled together:
The first item is the Curt spare tire mount, purchased from The Roadie (TrailVoy.com). The second item is the Surco fold up rack adapter, and finally a Hitch-Coupling tightener. Both purchased from FastTrackRacks.

No comments: