X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

July 9, 2008

Bruce & Grey Counties - Bruce Peninsula 1

Bruce Peninsula - Georgian Bay Side

My first stop heading north towards Tobermory which is at the northern tip of the Peninsula was at Scenic Caves Road on the Georgian Bay side (East side). I spotted this track on Google because it looked like the road made its way down the Escarpment and right to the water's edge.

However, once arriving I ended up seeing that it did not. The road itself turns into a single track forest road with lots of not-to-deep mud holes. It stops at the edge of the Escarpment with what I am calling a "footpath" continuing steeply down. Its quite narrow, to the point that I don't think a vehicle other than an ATV could negotiate it.

It was interesting to see that about half of the trail down has been laid with concrete, to keep erosion at bay I would assume. I ended up hiking down to get to the water but even that was thwarted. At almost the very bottom, the trail crosses the Bruce Trail at a clearing then descends down a couple of rocky ledges. Definitely traversable but not with the water sandals I was wearing. I will come back here with my hiking boots and get down to the water.

After getting back to the Trailblazer I headed north to my next stop, Cabot Head Lighthouse.

No comments: