X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

July 10, 2008

Bruce & Grey Counties - Bruce Peninsula 4

Bruce Peninsula - Lake Huron Side Continued

I wanted to check out Sauble Falls because in the book Waterfalls Of Ontario it describes how when the water is low enough, you can walk across the entire length of these "step" type falls.

The falls are part of Sauble Falls Provincial Park where I parked and walked the short trail to the river. There were many people on the falls trying to walk across, jumping into deeper pools, and generally having a good time. I ended up walking down to the lower part of the falls and walking out about a third of the way with my still and video cameras to take some close-up shots.

The skies started to turn gray so I cut the visit short and headed back home. The route I decided to take was through Shelburne, mainly because that town has my favorite pizza chain - Pizza Delight. Unfortunately all the locations are gone down in the big city, but whenever I can, I stop at one of the shops in the smaller towns in central Ontario.

What I did not expect is that I would be driving straight through a quite significant wind farm. Its the Melancthon Wind Plant, has 45 turbines and generates an estimated 195,000 MWh per year. I arrived in the area as the sun was setting so I drove around to get a few good shots. A pretty impressive sight.

And that was it for this short exploration. I will follow up with some links to Google maps I am working on. And if I have some time, I hope to post some videos I took from an HDV camcorder mounted through the sunroof.

No comments: