X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

July 27, 2008

Lighting - Starting Up The Build

Its been a while since I started this topic. The work I wanted to do over the winter never got done. But I am going full steam ahead now because I want to have my lights mounted for the Carlisle All-Truck Nationals.

The first stage was mounting the 6 PIAA lights to my Surco Safari roof rack.

I swapped all the light mount adapter hardware to stainless steel. I may also do that with the actual mounting bolts and nuts for the lights. One thing I decided a while back and was to upgrade the power connection hardware. The connectors that come with the PIAAs are pretty good, but over the years I have had them corrode and even seize up on me completely where pulling the connectors apart resulted in yanking the metal contact right out of the plastic connector.

So I have decided to go completely with Deutsch connectors. Here is a description:

Extreme Duty Electrical Connectors
When your electrical system needs protection in environments of the harshest type and requires protection from dirt, dust, mud, water, vibration and rough terrain whether you are on the road, off the road or on the water, Deutsch IPD products deliver.

I am going with 6 pin connectors for the lights on the rack (3 lights per connector) as they have 18 gauge wires. For the KC Hilites in front of the grill, there will be a 2 pin connector per light as they have 14 gauge wires.

These are sold by MSD Igniitions. I also bought the crimping tool and special crimping dies for the special pins that come with the Deutsch connectors. I put in an additional order to Batts Racing who carry the connectors and also the mounting tabs.

Here are a couple of shots of the KCHilite with the male Deutsch connector installed.

These are excellent products and look like they will really hold up to the weather.

No comments: