X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

November 1, 2009

Lighting - Lighting It Up!

Alright, now for the moment of truth. The pictures below are of the auxiliary lights activated with various combinations. From left to right and top to bottom:
  • fogs in bumper
  • fogs in bumper + on roof rack
  • long range driving on light bar
  • long range driving on roof rack
  • long range driving on light bar + roof rack
  • long range driving - side view
So how were these on the road? I would have to say excellent! I used the roof rack long range PIAA's quite a bit on the Big Western Trip. The first time they came in very handy was leaving Badlands National Park in Wyoming at night on a gravel road that would take me back to pavement. Because of the extra light down the road, I was able to spot and avoid a deer that bolted across in front of me. Without them I probably wouldn't have been able to stop in time.

Then heading south in Idaho, I was on pavement and going around 65 when I was able to spot another deer way down the road just standing there. The extra distance allowed me to slow down in time and honk to get it off the road. Without them ... who knows. So I ended up using them quite a bit on those long, straight sections of highway through the desert, particularly when signs warned of animal crossings.

No comments: