X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

May 18, 2009

TECORE to MORA - Day 2 - Apr 18

I ended up at a 7/11 in Harrisonburg at 7 AM buying whatever they had for camping supplies. And then it was off to try to get to the TECORE camp by 9.

James (the organizer) called me up on the way and convinced me to go up FR225 to Meadow Knob. Great trail with some interesting difficult parts that had me in 4LO, 1st gear, with the Ected locker engaged.

Unfortunately as I was trying to get up there as fast as possible to not hold up the group, I didn't take any pictures or video.

After the group packed up the camp we headed up to Flagpole Knob. This is me following James.

Map References - Day 2 - Apr18

April 18 track:

* large files - 1800 x 1200

View Apr 18 track in larger window.
The great view from Flagpole Knob, and a group shot.
The driving was great this day, lots of sights along the trail like the NSA base. Its kind of interesting to be in the Appalachians before the leaves start to bloom, some views would definitely not be visible in the summer with all the foliage.

Slightly off-camber turn coming down from the mountain.

I tried to use my rock sliders to pivot around the rock - a technique the Roadie uses often - but my Trailblazer was just too high for this little guy.

The trail down was quite interesting with some creek crossings towards the bottom. After that we headed over to the longer and deep creek crossing and small hill climb - sorry, I didn't take any pictures in all the excitement but there is some video of it.

Here's some great pictures of the trails, the Gauley Ridge Camp, the creek crossing, and hill climb by other TECORE attendees.

More pictures 1
More pictures 2
More pictures 3
More pictures 4

Once again, a big thank-you to James who organized the whole thing and was an outstanding trail leader. It was also great to meet everybody and share some stories around the campfire.

No comments: