X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

May 18, 2009

TECORE to MORA - Day 5 - Apr 21 - Back

I headed back north with some notes handy that I took back at the hotel as to where the beaches were closed due to migratory bird nesting (Piping Plover, etc.).

Unfortunately this was the time of year that most of the beach areas that jut out into the ocean (the points) are closed. Most of the long, straight, narrow sections are open though. So I chose an access point, aired down to 20 PSI and headed for a spot with nobody around to relax a bit.

Map References - Day 5 - Apr21 - Back

April 21 Back track:

* large files - 1800 x 1200

View Apr 21 back track in larger window.
The waves were pretty big that day, and the water was COLD. I did see a few surfers at other parts of the beach, all wearing wet suits. The awning worked great again on a much windier day than back in Virginia. Really impressed with the product.

As the sun started to fall below the dune, I packed up and drove back to the access point. I aired back up to road pressure and headed north to the hotel. I did stop one more time to get a picture of the last house in Rodanthe.

Overall a great day. I would have liked to have gone to Ocracoke but unfortunately not this time. On the positive side, it gives me an excuse to come back down.

One last picture for the day. I wanted to try out my HDV Camcorder's night vision mode, so I took a picture of the hotel's court (the camcorder can take pictures to a memory card instead of taking HDV video).

No comments: