X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

May 18, 2009

TECORE to MORA - Day 8 - Apr 24

Today was an all travel day - about 500 miles. I wanted to make sure that I would get to the campground by daylight so I wasn't setting up in the dark.

The Garmin GPS took me across Tennessee, through Nashville, up into Kentucky and Paducah, through the south-most tiny tip of Illinois, and then into Missouri. One of the more interesting sights was the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. I now wished I had stopped and taken some pictures as it truly was an awesome site but I was weary of making it to camp by daylight. Here's a close up on Google Maps though.

The last leg was pretty tough as the highway passes through a long flat area of farmland. It was extremely windy that day and with my roof rack, I was getting pushed all over the road. Plus I was a bit nervous trying to go over 60 mph as my Surco was really bouncing from all the wind buffeting.

I stopped at the supermarket in Ellington for some supplies and also met up with some MORA attendees at the hotel people were staying at. A quick stop at Big Ed's for gas and some "liquid refreshment" and then it was off to the campground.

I found it no problem and set up right next to the Roadie and his traveling comfort station! We had lots to talk about that night. Later on additional MORA attendees made it out to the camp and we exchanged lots of interesting technical and travel stories.

Here's some pictures of the campsite and Ellington in one of Roadie's posts.

Map References - Day 8 - Apr24

April 24 track:

* large files - 1800 x 1200

View Apr 24 track in larger window.

No comments: