X88 expeditions - Documenting and sharing overland travels, adventures, and expeditions

September 14, 2007

Colorado Expedition - Day 4 - Sep 12

Today was an interesting day as I spent half of it just getting prepared. Long story short is that my Trailblazer was missing the factory (plastic) underbody shield that covers the gas tank for some reason. I purchased one before I left but did not have time to install it. So I lugged it with me all the way to Colorado! Obviously being plastic its not a "real" skid plate, but it does gime me extra piece of mind that the gas tank is not directly exposed to any under-body nasties I run into.

I found a shop in Pueblo West early in the morning to install it. Problem was I didn't have the hardware so they helped out by getting me in contact with a GM dealership. Thanks for the help All Around Automotive. The plan today is to head out to Modano Pass, find a backcountry camping spot for the night, and then pass through the Great Sand Dunes. The complete trail is rated 4 out 10 by guide books I am using - Backcountry Adventures Colorado by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson.
I was quite pleased with the vehicle's performance so far. This is afterall my first high altitude foray. One thing is that I can really feel the engine struggle when heading up those highway inclines. With the thinner air (compared to where I live) and the extra weight on the vehicle, it was really chugging along. I have to make sure to use premium gas from now on, or at least throw in some octane boost.

Tomorrow its off to the Dunes!
Leaving Pueblo and passing through the Wet Mountains on CO 96.
Heading towards the Sangre De Cristo Range, the Sand Dunes are on the other side.
On the east side of the mountains is the San Isabel National Forest. Some very tight, steep, and rutted switch-backs on the way to Medano Pass (too busy keeping my eye on the track to take any radical pictures, these are the more tame areas) but the Trailblazer handled it well. I think I heard the locker kick in at least twice.
Finally at Medano Pass which is just over 3,000 meters (10,000 feet). The track then heads into Rio Grande National Forest and ultimately into Great Sand Dunes National Preserve.
It was getting late so I was reserved to not being too picky about finding a camp site. As luck would have it the first one into the Natinal Forest was great. This was one of the views from the site at sunset. And finally my camp set up after a long day of preparation and travel.

Map References - Day 4 - Sep 12

View Sep 12 track in larger window.

No comments: